Career & Educational Counseling Program
South Oaks Hospital’s Career and Educational Counseling Program, located on the Nassau/Suffolk border on Long Island, New York, provides vocational rehabilitation and career guidance to individuals with and without disabilities. The program is vital for those who wish to seek higher education, change their career path, transition from school to work, or have been out of the job market due to a disability or addiction.
The program’s goal is to provide individuals with increased insight regarding his/her strengths and weaknesses through assessment, observation and counseling. It is designed to provide career guidance and direction, whether that calls for vocational training, transition planning, further education or job placement.
Vocational Rehabilitation & Career Guidance
- Individualized career, ability, interest and general vocational and educational testing
- Psychological testing
- Career guidance and career research activities
- Exploration of training programs, schools and colleges
- Referrals for schooling and other case management needs
- Individual and group vocational counseling for:
- Job-seeking skills
- Interview techniques/mock interviews
- Coping with stress at work
- Dealing with difficult co-workers
- Decision making
- Assertiveness training
- Personal and social skills at work
- Effective communication
Job Placement Services
- Individualized Job Placement Plan developed at Initial Consultation
- Resume and cover letter development
- Computer and FAX access
- Reporting on progress, job search results and employment opportunities, including job leads
- Examine skills that have been mastered and identify skills that could/may be developed to enhance participant’s marketability
- Individual counseling sessions to review progress
- Continuous job development and placement assistance
- 90-day follow-up according to needs
- Interview skills
Adolescent Transition Services & Life Skills Programming
The program provides Transition and Vocational Evaluation Services (Level II and III) either at South Oaks or on-site in school districts, with no fee for initial services. Transition Consulting and Coordination Services are offered to all districts.
Services and activities include:
- Individual and/or classroom-based life skills, transition and vocational services
- Level II and Level III assessments
- Teach appropriate work behavior, job skills and life skills
- Formulate post-secondary educational and vocational activities
- Job coaching and job placement
- Explore independent living options
- Review eligibility for adult services, including VESID
- Attendance at Committee on Special Education (CSE) for consultation and transition planning.
- Wheelchair accessible
- Cafeteria on premises
- Outpatient and Inpatient services available
- Easily accessible by train, bus or car
- 12-step meetings held daily on premises
- Special Education Services
For more information on vocational rehabilitation and transition services please visit the VESID website, available in our Links section.
For more details, information and fees, please call (631) 608-5052 between 8:30am and 4:30pm.
Career & Educational Counseling